Be a Part of Our Chapter
Throughout the year, our Des Moines Alumnae Chapter offers a variety of programs and events to meet the needs and interests of their membership. These could include community volunteer involvement, networking opportunities, philanthropic projects, social events, and meetings with themes or guest speakers. Many alumnae chapters also offer "special interest" groups, such as a downtown lunch group, a gardening group, or a recent graduates group.
One of our goals is to strengthen the alumna/collegiate interactions. We are in a unique position n in Des Moines in that we support two college chapters, Gamma Pi, Iowa State Univeristy and Beta Kappa, Drake Unviersity. The alums provide collegians with snacks during finals week, host a senior send off for graduating Thetas, and participate in joint CASA efforts throughout the year. Most of the Chapter Advisors and members of Facility Corporation Board are members in the Des Moines Alumnae Chapter.
The Top 10 Reasons to Join Our Alumnae Chapter
10. Do something for yourself.
Are you always doing for others? Take time to do something especially for you and join your local alumnae chapter.
Find a mentor; ask for career advice; share your professional accomplishments. Need a doctor, a good restaurant, a childcare resource? No matter what you need to know, there is a Theta to help you find the answers.
8. Keep in touch.
In addition to being able to access the Fraternity’s award-winning publication online, dues-paying alumnae chapter members also receive all four print editions of the Theta magazine.
7. Renew old friendships.
If it's been a while since you've been involved in Theta, you may find a long-lost sister! Our Theta sisters form a support system that is always there for you.
6. Develop new friendships.
If you are new to the area, there there’s no better way to meet people! Our alumnae chapter members span diverse ages, backgrounds, college chapters, professions, and interests, yet we all share a bond in Theta.
5. Develop personally and professionally.
Our programs address a variety of topics: women's health and safety, local history and current issues, self-help, nutrition, and more! As you become more involved, you can begin to take on leadership positions that will help you in all aspects of your life.
4. Serve the community.
Through service projects and fund-raisers, you can help make our community a better place to live.
3. Show Theta pride.
Through an alumnae chapter, you’ll always have a place within Theta, and Theta will always have a place in your life. Make connections through participation.
2. Learn about yourself.
When a group of successful women come together, we can only learn more about ourselves. Taking the time to really understand ourselves—our motivations, strengths, and weaknesses—will make us the best we can be in all aspects of our lives.
1. Have a good time!
As in our college days, we still enjoy fun, sisterhood, and plenty of smiles! The only thing missing is you!
Alumnae can support the Fraternity's mission and keep Theta alive in Des Moines by paying dues. Due paying members recieve the benefit of reduced fees for events, such as Founders Day.
Alumnae per capita fees support the programs, services, and operations of the Fraternity, including:
• Fraternity per capita dues ($31)
• Yearly Kappa Alpha Theta Magazine subscription (4 issues/year)
• College and alumnae programing, training, and other resources
• Upgrades in technology for membership record keeping
• Grand convention delegate expenses
• Recognition of 50 and 75 year Thetas
• Expansion and establishment of new chapters
The remainder of your dues goes to the endeavors of the Des Moines Alumnae Chapter:
• Collegiate Courtesies- Snacks and treats during finals for Beta Kappa and Gamma Pi chapters
• Senior Sendoff- Meal and small gift honoring graduating seniors of Beta Kappa and Gamma Pi chapters
• Recognition of 25, 50, and 75-year alumnae
• Program support- maintain scrapbooks, directories and newsletters
• CASA Support- Annual gift to local CASA in addition to other support throughout the year
• Kappa Alpha Theta Foundation Support- Annual gift from the Des Moines Alumnae Chapter
*Due paying members receive benefits such as reduced fees at events, including Founders Day.